One of my commitments this year was to be a part of BSF. I made it, tonight, at 7:30pm. This is memorable entry for I'll look back after a year on what I've written. As I found First Baptist Church (FBC) right next to the Siamese Temple, I was surprised and quickly found sea of cars being parked all around the area. Manage to squeeze myself a spot next to the bushes in which if I had jumped out the car would probably land myself into the drain.
When I walked through the door I was greeted by familiar faces but probably my first time acknowledging and shaking their hands, Timothy Liew (Sarah's dad I think) and Michael Yong (who invited me). It was nice to see them, they gave me such warm smiles. Maybe it's the first meeting, the ushering package is at it's premium :)
I didn't realize or had forgotten that BSF, or at least the monday night session, were solely for men. So when I walked in, woah....and I thought to myself, now I'll know what a sexual discriminated church looks like. Many grey heads and corporate people around. I was dressing Jap like again with my thongs, evisu's and a brown top. They looked like they were attending a Phd class where I was a freshie in university.
When I finally got a seat after the speaker, Lim Leong Hock was chatting away, the person on my left spoke to me.
"Hey, are you the bride?"
"huh, what bride?"
"the play, the runaway bride?"
"Oh yeah, yeah...hi hi. Where did you see us?"
"At BBDU, the small church with the low ceilings"
"Ahh..cool, I"m Sw and you are?"
So that was kinda nice, to just break the ice. Like meeting new people, I'm from the Footstool camp...hehe. Another surprise was this, as I gazed further to my left, I met Ian Ng, who calls me 'boy' and which I fondly remember, "need work on the 'T's and diction". It was nice seeing him again too.
"Hey Ian! Great seeing you here"
"Hey, (I think he was going to say boy but saw my name tag). I heard you outdid yourself at Temerloh"
"Oh, erm..yeah it picked up"
"Great work ya (crisp English)"
I sat next to him after that and we chatted away. He came tonight because he is planning to bring his son who is 13 to join BSF. I said wow, starting young. So we were kinda like hanging out first time BSF-ers together. Now, no need to be so scared of him. Previously at audience preview, gosh :)
He mentioned that he was disappointed that the easter productions of east meet west couldn't take off this year with regards to sponsor issues. I shared with him further about what Footstool was doing this year too.
Anyway, back to BSF. We're studying Genesis, for a whole year. I was like, wow. One book for an entire year. This is going to be really interesting for me. I'm excited. What's more exciting is this, I see many men way ahead of me in age. A great opportunity for me to throw questions at them about life. I hope to grow from this learning class. Some people have other ideas about it but I think it's fine so far.
I'll have a look at the study materials tomorrow and see how everything is.
I met some other church people, which was really interesting, because I rarely speak to these guys. I am quite clique-ish at church so having the uncles to say hi and great to see you here is definitely starting to break the ice.
To my new commitment, in wanting to know God more because He first loved us. Happy Valentine's peeps!
When I walked through the door I was greeted by familiar faces but probably my first time acknowledging and shaking their hands, Timothy Liew (Sarah's dad I think) and Michael Yong (who invited me). It was nice to see them, they gave me such warm smiles. Maybe it's the first meeting, the ushering package is at it's premium :)
I didn't realize or had forgotten that BSF, or at least the monday night session, were solely for men. So when I walked in, woah....and I thought to myself, now I'll know what a sexual discriminated church looks like. Many grey heads and corporate people around. I was dressing Jap like again with my thongs, evisu's and a brown top. They looked like they were attending a Phd class where I was a freshie in university.
When I finally got a seat after the speaker, Lim Leong Hock was chatting away, the person on my left spoke to me.
"Hey, are you the bride?"
"huh, what bride?"
"the play, the runaway bride?"
"Oh yeah, yeah...hi hi. Where did you see us?"
"At BBDU, the small church with the low ceilings"
"Ahh..cool, I"m Sw and you are?"
So that was kinda nice, to just break the ice. Like meeting new people, I'm from the Footstool camp...hehe. Another surprise was this, as I gazed further to my left, I met Ian Ng, who calls me 'boy' and which I fondly remember, "need work on the 'T's and diction". It was nice seeing him again too.
"Hey Ian! Great seeing you here"
"Hey, (I think he was going to say boy but saw my name tag). I heard you outdid yourself at Temerloh"
"Oh, erm..yeah it picked up"
"Great work ya (crisp English)"
I sat next to him after that and we chatted away. He came tonight because he is planning to bring his son who is 13 to join BSF. I said wow, starting young. So we were kinda like hanging out first time BSF-ers together. Now, no need to be so scared of him. Previously at audience preview, gosh :)
He mentioned that he was disappointed that the easter productions of east meet west couldn't take off this year with regards to sponsor issues. I shared with him further about what Footstool was doing this year too.
Anyway, back to BSF. We're studying Genesis, for a whole year. I was like, wow. One book for an entire year. This is going to be really interesting for me. I'm excited. What's more exciting is this, I see many men way ahead of me in age. A great opportunity for me to throw questions at them about life. I hope to grow from this learning class. Some people have other ideas about it but I think it's fine so far.
I'll have a look at the study materials tomorrow and see how everything is.
I met some other church people, which was really interesting, because I rarely speak to these guys. I am quite clique-ish at church so having the uncles to say hi and great to see you here is definitely starting to break the ice.
To my new commitment, in wanting to know God more because He first loved us. Happy Valentine's peeps!

nice meeting you ... I love how you ended the post "in wanting to know God more because He first loved us".
Indeed, He FIRST loved us.
Thanks Sivin for dropping by. Great to finally meet you as well :) Feel free to drop by and place some insights into any of my entries, God inspired or simple rantings otherwise!
sw.